Thursday, December 5, 2013

December 4th, 2013

            Wait… What is this? The light… it’s so bright… how could this be? Am… I dead? Where’s my phone… o … there it is. 8:15!? (Restrained burst of elation) That could mean only one of three things I thought!
“MOM! Is it late start or day off, or has Russia nuked us?!”
“Late Start!” (Big Exaggerated Groan) O… so close I thought, at least I get to miss English class!
Nevertheless, even though I didn’t get a snow day, (which would’ve just been added to the end of the school year anyways) and didn't get to just end my school years all together thanks to Russia, I still had a couple hours to my self. After solving a 100 by 100 Rubix Cube in my new personal record of 23.4 seconds, completing string theory, and proving Einstein’s theory of relativity inaccurate, it was time to go and endure the rest of the day at school.
After needling my way through the life and death experience of trying to get to the school, I entered to a familiar setting, chaos. As a byproduct of a late start, there is always chaos. Homework assignments were moved or doubled for the day. Winter pictures, which were scheduled for today were all pushed around and rescheduled that day, or canceled and moved. (Friendly reminders to all band students’ pictures have been rescheduled to Friday, December 20th). There was also a pep rally that was moved to a later unknown date.
Yet through the mist of chaos there is always light. With the unofficial kick off of our high school winter sports activities, there comes many opportunities to show our school’s pride, skill, and success. As I sit around the mantlepiece, writing and reflecting about this day in the dim light of the embers, admiring the aroma of the roasting chestnuts, the wind howling and blowing tufts of snow through the frost bitten night, I think about how lucky I really am. After all, I got to miss English class!
-Nathaniel


No comments:

Post a Comment