Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Nikki Gotschall - Daily Blogger 12/10/13

           It was just a regular average day in science class and I was working on my vocabulary when the computer calendar caught my eye. It’s the 10th. Do you know what that means? It means I’m the daily blogger. Yippie! (not). I don’t like being daily blogger if you could tell. Anyways, since I have to do this thing, I better get down to business.
           The classroom was as dull as a piece of flimsy cardboard as I stumbled inside. I sat there, telling tootie and Emma about my new puppy, Bo, and how he wouldn’t let me sleep last night. That puppy is a siren that doesn’t have an off button! Anyway, It wasn’t fun. I just got done with my story when Mrs. Morrow starts reading off the announcements. After the announcements, we got started with English. We’re learning about poetry and figurative language. We did our daily journal and instead of writing with a pencil, we wrote on our poetry notebook on the computers. We filled out similes, metaphors, and personification. Then we each picked our favorite and shared it with the class.
            Once we all shared, we read a poem called “Indian Sky” by Alfred Kreymborg. Now we finally get to write our own symbol poems. We are supposed to think of a symbol that we had discussed in class. (Blizzard, teddy bear, fire, fruit bowl, a river, leaves falling from trees) I chose to do mine about fire. Fire can represent a lot of things. I could think of a whole bunch of meanings fire could have. We worked on those until our principal, Mr. Brosz, told us that the whole 8thgrade was supposed to go to the lecture hall for a meeting. It was cool, because we got out of English early and we got to reading late!

            Just a reminder: we are watching “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.” It starts at 7:30 sharp. Admission is roughly $3. JH only! There will be pop and popcorn provided. If you don’t want pop, you can bring a different drink. You can wear an ugly sweater because there will be an ugly sweater contest. Blankets and pillows are allowed. Well, that’s pretty much what happened in English class today; I hope to see you all in the multi purpose room for “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas!”



                                     
                                           Metaphor, Simile, and Personification homework

                                                           Symbol chart for our poems

                                                     "Indian Sky" by: Alfred Kreymborg

                                                        "Fire" By: Nikki Gotschall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment